Wednesday, February 3, 2016

#MMBBR #Showcase The Hopper-Hill Family by Erika S. Castiglione



Piper Hill always dreamed about what it would be like to have a brother or sister, but when tragedy abruptly brings three cousins (and a dog) into her home, she realizes becoming a blended family will take a lot more work than she imagined. The first year is filled with heartache, tears, a few surprises, and some laughter thrown in. Through it all, Piper learns about love, faith, and a bond that she hopes will tie her new family together.



Q.  What inspires your writing?

A. Reading, reading, and more reading. I'm also inspired by my relationships with my family and friends, as well as observing relationships around me. 
Q.  What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

A. Although there are frustrating days when I think I have gone insane for trying to pursue this calling, there are other days when a story comes together and takes on a life of it's own. When that happens, I am reminded of how much fun it can be to create and the incredible power of words. It's wonderful to have an outlet for all the jumbled thoughts in my mind, and it's gratifying when those thoughts turn into something that resonates with someone else.

Q.  What is the toughest part of being a writer?

A. It's hard for me to put my work out there for the judgement of others. At the same time, it would be equally difficult to write books that I never share.

Q.  If you could not be writer, what would you do/be?

A. I work part-time as an ESL tutor now. I would love to teach creative writing to others (even though I guess that still involves writing).

Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?

A. Clinging to the Grace of God

Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?

A. It's a tie between Gilead by Marilynne Robinson and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Q.  Which character from ANY book are you most like?

A. I'm like Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit. He says he doesn't want to go on an adventure, but gets swept up in it and enjoys himself after all. I've also got a little of each of the March sisters from Little Women in me.

Q.  What character from your book are you most like?

A. I think I'm a mix of every single character. I'm probably the most like Piper or Cora.

Q.  Which book would you love to take a weekend vacation inside of?

A. Any Jane Austen novel

Q.  What is your favorite season?

A. I enjoy every season and I'm so glad I live in a state (North Carolina) with four distinct seasons, but if I had to choose, fall is my favorite.

Q.  What inspired your book cover(s)?  Or what is your favorite book cover and why?

A. I don't really like pictures of people on the covers of books (unless they are silhouettes) because I like the reader to be able to picture the characters in their own mind. So, for The Hopper-Hill Family, I decided on a tree to represent family and my husband designed the cover for me. I love what he came up with.

Q.  Tell me something funny that happened while on a book tour or while promoting your book.

A. I haven't gone on a book tour (but I'd like to), and I can't think of any funny stories so far. I'll be on the lookout, though. I'd like a little comic relief during the promotion process :)

Q.  Are you working on something new?

A. Yes. I started working on a sequel to The Hopper-Hill Family, but I put it aside to work on another book I have been thinking about for a while now. It's about a thirteen-year-old girl named Bliss who has moved around a lot because her father is looking for success as a musician.

Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?

A.  If you (or a middle schooler you know) enjoy reading realistic fiction, I would love for you to check out The Hopper-Hill Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...