Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Review and Q&A: Sadie's Big Steal by Marla McKenna


SADIE’S BIG STEAL, a new picture book by Marla McKenna, was inspired by Marla McKenna’s first book,Mom’s Big Catch, which has become a fan favorite with baseball lovers of all ages, and can be customized to fit any team (six team versions in print and more in production). Both books offer positive messages for kids about never giving up on your dreams, and the importance of friendship. This time the family dog, Sadie, takes center stage...
       

Sadie’s plan was to steal Mom’s Big Catch, but when faced with choosing between right and wrong, Sadie’s adventure takes her on a heartfelt journey where she ends up stealing something much more important. 
An exciting tale of friendship and fun! 


Ashley's dream was to catch a ball hit by her favorite team, so at the last game of the season, she wouldn't dare leave her seat. If she had, she might have missed, Mom's Big Catch! Join Marla McKenna in this exciting tale and heartwarming story of one family's adventure at the ballpark.




Marla McKenna lives in Wisconsin with her family and has authored a new and exciting children's book series, Mom's Big Catch and Sadie's Big Steal. Both books support causes she wholeheartedly believes in, finding forever homes for those animals in need and promoting literacy to children through the game of baseball. She loves traveling to schools to share her positive message with the students to "Follow their Dreams and Never Give Up!" 

Books can be customized to fit any baseball team as there are 6 team versions currently in print and more in production! Visit www.marlamckenna.com for more information!




Both SADIE'S BIG STEAL and MOM'S BIG CATCH continue to support causes that Marla wholeheartedly believes in. *Finding forever homes for those animals in need and promoting literacy to children through the game of baseball, Marla hits another home run with her positive message throughout this book while also promoting anti-bullying and anti-dog breed discrimination.

My review of Sadie's Big Steal:

I adore this book because it captures both the love of animals and the love of friendship.  The story is easy to relate to with valuable lessons to be learned.  This book is upbeat and positive, which is always refreshing!  A fellow WI resident and a gifted story teller, McKenna's book Sadie's Big Steal was a big hit with my boys 4 stars!


Q. What inspires your writing?

A. My daughters, Julia and Ashley, inspire my writing along with the countless number of children I see during my author visits to schools.  Everyone has a story to share.

Q. What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

A. I love going to schools and visiting the kids and sharing my positive message. Offering positive words of encouragement is what every child needs, and I’m happy I can bring that into their lives through Mom’s Big Catch andSadie’s Big Steal.

Q. What is the toughest part of being a writer?

A. Having patience.

Q.  If you couldn't be a writer, what would you do/be?

A. I've always worked in marketing and graphic design so I would continue to use my talents in those areas.

Q. What would the story of your life be titled?

A. “Pursuing Her Passion” -Writing and sharing my message with children is my passion, and I love that I have been given the opportunity to do so.

Q. What is your favorite book of all time?

A. Oh the Places You’ll Go by Dr. Seuss

Q. Which character from ANY book are you most like?

A. The mom in Mom’s Big Catch and Sadie’s Big Steal.

Q. What character from all of your books are you most like?

A. The mom of course!


Q. Which book would you love to take a weekend vacation inside of?

A. The magic of Harry Potter!

Q. What do you want to be remembered for 100 years from now?

A. I’d like to be remembered as a person who pursued her dreams and didn't give up while making a difference in the lives of children, and making a difference in the lives of the animals I've donated funds to help save and rescue.

Q. What is your favorite season?

A. Spring - everything is new again.

Q. What inspired your book cover(s)?  Or what is your favorite book cover and why?

A. Each book cover is inspired by the main idea in each story and projected in an appealing way, drawing in the reader.

Q. Tell me something funny that happened while on a book tour or while promoting your book.

A. Once when I was presenting to a kindergarten class, this little boy asked me if I would sign the boys’  books with a heart instead of a smiley face? Then his little friend sitting next to him said, she’s a little old for you don’t you think? It was the cutest and funniest thing!

Q.  Are you working on something new?

A. Yes, I am working on my next book, and I am also involved with the graphic design and layout for another book and new author.

Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?          

A.  Mom’s Big Catch can be customized to fit any baseball team. There are currently 7 versions in print and more in production. Customization includes:  team logo, stadium, jersey, mascot, pennant, special foods, sponsor logo, copy, etc. 

Partial proceeds from both Mom’s Big Catch and Sadie’s Big Steal go to the Linda Blair WorldHeart Foundation (http://www.lindablairworldheart.org/) with special thanks to singer, actor and best-selling author Rick Springfield for matching my donations. www.marlamckenna.com 


buy the book:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...