Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Guest Post: Laurel Gans author of WAITLISTED




GUEST POST:


I have always adored reading chick-lit! Needless to say, the books I read gave me a slightly skewed vision of what my life as a twenty-something would be like.  I used to picture my future self as a confident, hot blonde in designer clothes, lots of make-up and high heels strolling down the streets of a big city. The sun was shining and I was on my way to some classy job in a high-rise office. I’d have a quirky best friend, a co-worker I couldn’t stand, and a certain someone at work I’d adore.

I should have known reality wasn’t going to turn out quite like that. Blonde hair would look terrible with my complexion and I can’t walk more than a few feet in high heels. I’ve also never been to a dental school in a high-rise.

Instead, I live in my own chick-lit world. There are similarities, of course. I do live in a big city and we do occasionally see some sunshine. However, I trot down the street wearing frumpy gray scrubs that are a size too big and cut for men. Don’t get me wrong, I make them work-- it’s just not my best look. My pant legs are half-stuffed into my fluffy snow boots and a knitted scarf smears my attempt at some make-up. I spend most of my day drilling plastic teeth in a basement with just a few---no wait---zero windows. It might not be a glamorous place, but it’s just right for me.

My new novel, Waitlisted, takes place in the chick-lit world of a carefree college senior—a place I would love to go back to. A hard day’s work involves waking up, having breakfast, and taking a nap (yup, I definitely used to do that).  A bad score can simply be manipulated with a little grade negotiation, and a tough class can be replaced with ‘intro to ice-skating’ (I learned to skate backwards and stop).

The main character, Kacey Barlow, is enjoying the college life. She’s already been accepted to grad school and doesn’t take one aspect of her classes seriously. When she discovers she’s been kicked out of the grad school her family has been attending for nearly a century, she’s forced to make some changes---and fast. The college world isn’t so fun when you have to get out of bed before the midday news and take that text book out from under the wobbly kitchen table and read it.

She’s got a lot of studying ahead of her. Hopefully she’ll learn a little bit about herself in the process.

Thanks so much for letting me be your guest today! If you’d like more information please follow the links below!



Waitlisted

To view my Q&A with Laurel, click HERE


Book Description

 October 4, 2011
Kacey Barlow had no idea it would be this hard to get into grad school. Her well-to-do family has been attending UI for generations, and admissions had been recruiting her since high school! She was a shoo-in—that is, until they gave her the boot.

She can’t tell her parents, and can’t stand the thought of her friends going off to grad school without her. Her grades are slipping. Her professors can’t remember her name, and her tutor, Taylor, won’t stop hitting on her when they’re supposed to be studying.

Okay, maybe that last one isn’t so bad. But it’s not going to help get her a seat in another school...and applications are due in two weeks...





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...