Saturday, February 18, 2017

#MMBBR #Showcase work of Devra Robitaille

The Dream Stealers by [Robitaille, Devra]

Devin’s thrilling story of courage in the face of ruthless greed and skullduggery begins on Earth. Devin is a fifteen-year-old girl who lives with her scientist father who has invented a laser spaceship, the Traveler, and when he goes for a test run the machine returns without him. Devin bravely sets off to find him and learns how to fly the Traveler, encountering many odd and magical characters en route. She ends up on a breathtakingly beautiful planet called Vega which is the headquarters of the Dream Council, where she meets her guides, Ryan and Olam and finds her father again. She discovers that the universe is threatened by underhanded and dastardly bandits called the Dream Stealers who lurk in the border regions between dreaming and waking, attacking dreamers and stealing their dreams. They sell the dreams on the black market leaving their victims trapped in an agonizing wasteland, mere shadows of themselves. The Dream Council is organizing a resistance movement to vanquish the Dream Stealers and recapture the dreams and return them to the dreamers. To her amazement Devin discovers that she is not an earthling, but an alien with incredible talents and she bravely steps up to play her part. She enrolls in the flying academy on Vega to learn to become a fighter pilot in the reconnaissance squadron and begins her inspiring journey of defiance and victory.





Muffy and the Dog Catcher (The Muffy Series Book 1) by [Robitaille,Devra]

Muffy and the Dog Catcher  getBook.at/muffy

Muffy and the Dog Catcher follows a little Goldendoodle puppy named Muffy who is tired of being left home when her family, dogs and humans alike, go to work on the farm everyday. One day she meets a funny grasshopper and they play a wonderful game of chase...until Muffy realizes she has chased the grasshopper a long way from home! 
Follow along with Muffy on her journey to find her true home. Along the way you will meet the Gabriels a wonderful family who adopt dogs, their orderly pack and a most unusual dog catcher. 

Muffy's Florida Adventure: A Dog Story For Kids (The Muffy Series Book 2) by [Robitaille, Devra]

Muffy's Florida Adventure  getBook.at/MuffyFL

In the second book in The Muffy Series, Muffy's Florida Adventure , Muffy and her reunited family go on a vacation to Sarasota FL. Muffy makes many friends along the way, Melodee the manatee, Harry a most unique bird and Puff the dolphin. 

The Efficiency Claus: An Improbable Christmas Tale by [Robitaille, Devra]

The Efficiency Claus  getBook.at/elfs

In this improbable Christmas tale Santa's chief of staff has banned all Christmas spirit at the North Pole. Facing a life without good cheer and rule under a tyrant the elves of the North form a resistance. Will they be able to liberate Christmas, the North Pole and most importantly their home? Find out in this funny adventure featuring elves, reindeer and cake. 

Devra Robitaille

London-born Devra is a prolific composer, songwriter and keyboardist, as well as an author of books for kids. Trained at the Trinity College of Music in England, she has worked with such legendary artists as John Lennon, Cher, Diana Ross, The Jackson Five, Leonard Cohen and George Harrison. She wrote 2 top-ten singles for her own band on Jupiter Records. She became well known as a virtuoso player in the London session scene in the eighties and joined Mike Oldfield of Tubular Bells fame as a keyboard player for a tour of Britain. While on the road, her manager informed her that 2 of her songs had won 1st and 2nd place, respectively, out of over 3000 entries in the BBC Song Contest. Moving to America in the nineties, Devra teamed up with a lyricist to write and compose a musical, “Cole and Porter” which had a successful run in Los Angeles at the Hudson Theatre.

Devra lives in Sarasota Florida now and has authored a series of illustrated dog stories for children; The Muffy Series. Her next book, for middle grade and young adults, "The Efficiency Claus; an Improbable Christmas Tale" is now available, November and her sci-fi adventure for older readers, "The Dream Stealers," is due February 19th 2017. 

Devra is now working on the third Muffy book, “Muffy and the Medicine Cat.” She continues to write and compose for the theater, but loves to write for children.


Q.  What inspires your writing?
A.  Well hello, and thank you for this opportunity to wag my chin with you LOL…Life inspires me, people inspire me,  I am fascinated by human nature and by the situations they get themselves into and I can’t imagine a better way to spend time than finding out things and then weaving stories around them.  It’s such an adventure.

Q.  What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
A.  I’ve always been a dreamer, it’s like travelling to other worlds and other times from right here and right now, the only difference is that as a writer now I write it down.

Q.  What is the toughest part of being a writer?
A.  That’s a good question, I suppose I should say disciplining myself, but honestly I’m pretty good at hitting the chair and firing up the computer and writing some pages; no, for me the problem is getting my household to settle down and give me some peace and quiet so I can think straight.  I have one baby, four dogs and a grown daughter.  And the baby is my husband!!!  I think most women will understand that! 

Q.  If you could not be a writer, what would you do/be?
A.   I started as a professional musician, I had some success touring as a keyboard player with a famous group in England, then I transitioned to working in musical theatre in LA and I had a lot of interesting experiences working with singers and dancers and writing and co-writing scripts etc. and so my journey has been an organic one, but always as a creative force.  So I can’t imagine doing anything else, but if you were to press me, then I would have to say maybe have my own bakery and eat cake all the time.

Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?
A.   LOL!  Nice one!  OK, well my first instinct is to let my dry British sense of humor have free reign and say something like “Anatomy of a mad woman, subtitle; a musical rampage into the unknown,”  but seriously now, a good title might be, “Ramblings; In the hope that what I’ve learned might be of some use.”

Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?
A.    I really had to search my inner database to come up with the answer to this, because I’ve always been a reader and my taste can get pretty eclectic, but when it gets right down to it, if you ask for just one book, ONE book? Well, it would have to be Jane Eyre.

Q.  Which character from ANY book are you most like?
A.    I go back and forth between Doctor Who and Dumbledore, with a sprinkling of Alice (just ask, Alice I think she’ll know…) and a touch of Winnie the Pooh

Q.  What character from all of your books are you most like?
A.    There’s a bit of Mrs. Kulkarni and Mrs. Blithe in me from the Efficiency Claus, and a bit of Devin from the Dream Stealers (when I was young and reckless) and of course Captain Skye from Muffy’s Florida adventure  All my characters are composites, no one is really based on a person that I know, per se, and yet all of them are - If that makes sense.

Q.  Which book would you love to take a weekend vacation inside of?
A.    Well, I live on the water in Florida, and next door is a vacation home where people come from all over Europe.  I often think of the great irony that, as I scrub pots and pans, up to my elbows in big yellow rubber gloves, my neighbors are shouting “Marco Polo” and leaping off the dock into the sea.  LOL,  so for me a good vacation would be to somewhere really urban, like New York or London, somewhere grungy, gray and dirty  LOL, as long as I could get home on Monday morning, that is; like visiting Paris in the time of The Three Musketeers, or Sherlock Holmes’ Baker Street.   

Q.  What is your favorite season?
A.    Spring in Paris, summer and fall in England, and winter in Florida. 

Q.  What inspired your book cover(s)?  Or what is your favorite book cover and why?
A.    Well, I dabble in painting and so I do the cover art myself, I just really like the cover of the Efficiency Claus, the expression on Santa’s face just tickles me.  I’m currently designing the Dream Stealers’ cover so the jury is still out on that one, but I’m pretty obstinate so I won’t quit until I love it.

Q.  Tell me something funny that happened while on a book tour or while promoting your book.
A.    The day after I finished writing the first Muffy book, Muffy and the Dog Catcher, which is essentially about two Goldendoodle puppies, wouldn’t you know it but two Goldendoodle puppy sisters moved in three houses down.  It was spooky-weird to open my front door and see their owner walking them right past my driveway; they were identical in every way to Muffy and her sister Riff, as I had described them in the book, and I found out later that one of them was named “Addy” which is one of the characters in The Efficiency Claus, which I was about halfway through at the time.  Don’t you just love weird irony. 

Q.  Are you working on something new?
A.   Yes, I’m just about to release the Dream Stealers, which is a sort of fantasy space odyssey about a young girl who becomes a fighter pilot and vanquishes the evil lurkers who steal our dreams. And I’m writing a novel called “The Henge.”  I’m about half way through. It’s set thousands of years ago in the Bronze age and actually I would love to spend a weekend with these characters, they are kind of writing me at the moment.

Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?
A.  I am so honored to have been allowed to visit and I hope you are all reading something to write home about.

INFORMATION:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...