Thursday, November 29, 2018

#MMBBR #ReviewRoundup @HolidayHouseBks #HolidayBookGiftGuide


I love Holiday House because there is something for everyone! In this post you will see I Like to Read books and Guided Reading Level books, as well picture books and a chapter books.  

These books are all 5 star reads and books I seriously loved!! 

Remember books make perfect gifts, so get shopping and fill those stockings with adventures thought the pages of books!




I Like to Read® Books:

NOTE:  About the Series

I Like to Read® books are picture books written and illustrated so that even the newest reader can enjoy a satisfying, quality literary experience. The books in the series are written at kindergarten and early first grade reading levels.

"These books deftly combine text and art to create a positive experience for new readers."—School Library Journal

"This series dares to make entertaining reads from short texts and familiar vocabulary"—Kirkus Reviews

"Each one makes the hard world of learning to read enough fun to encourage children at this critical developmental moment to try another one."—Vicky Smith, Children's and YA Editor at Kirkus Reviews


I Like My Car

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Who would think that a few simple words could create such a wonderful story? I Like My Car captures your imagination through the the gorgeous illustrations and simple text as you get to meet drivers in the cars they love. It is such a delightful and wondrous adventure on the road, that is sure to entertain children and kids alike.

Can You Find Pup?
Can You Find Pup? by Vincent X Kirsch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I love that this book has simple words, but a glorious and delightful story. Children will love reading this story and will be inspired to draw pictures themselves. I adored the seek and find portion of this book. It will keep kids engaged both by reading and by spotting the pictures.


Min Makes a Machine
Min Makes a Machine by Emily Arnold McCully
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A great book about learning to be inventive and to do kind things for others, and possibly a lesson about not being so quick to give up and go home. With easy word and colorful pictures kids will have success in reading at their "just right" level.



BOARD BOOKS:


Boat Book
Boat Book by Gail Gibbons
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Reading this book will teach kids that different kinds of boats are moved differently. Some are moved by oars and paddles, while others are moved by wind or engines. This book is made of sturdy cardboard and will last through all the reading the kids will surly do because they will love this book so much!


Pirate Boy
Pirate Boy by Eve Bunting
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Danny imagines what would happen if he were to hop on a pirate ship and take off! When his mother explains that she would do anytime to find him including riding a dolphin, battling a sea monsters, and wielding a bottle of spray to do it! Kids will be caught up in the wonderful story and the stunning illustrations. This is a perfect book for kids to snuggle up with their mothers and go on a wild adventure! 


I Will Eat You!
I Will Eat You! by Giada Francia
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is an amazing double-gatefold book that bring a fun touch to learning about the food chain in different habitats.
Kids will love reading "I will eat you," and see who will eat who. It is such a delight and kids will love opening the gate-fold pages and see the beautifully illustrated pages to reveal both predator and prey.
Amazing and so fun!!!



Noodleheads Find Something Fishy
Noodleheads Find Something Fishy by Tedd Arnold
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Who doesn't love Tedd Arnold. He is a master of his craft. He casts a spell over his young readers and creates children that love to read due to his hilarious stories and zany illustrations. Noodleheads Find Something Fishy is another zany installation in the Noodlehead series. A fun read, that both my son and I enjoyed immensely! My son and I have read this numerous times and have laughed each and every time. I always looking for books that keep my son's interest. He struggles with reading, so finding books that capture his attention and create a desire to read is any mother's dream come true. Noodehead Find Something Fishy is one of those books my son is happy to read/reread. These Noodleheads are a creative duo and this comic book style read is one both my son and I adored.


Picture Books:


D Is for Dragon Dance
D Is for Dragon Dance by Ying Chang Compestine
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is an ABC of fun about so many cool things about the Chinese New Year. I adored learning so much about a holiday I know very little about! A is for Acrobats. B is for Balls. C is for Calligraphy. D is for Dragon Dance. The amazing illustrations capture the wonders of this very special holiday!


The ABCs of What I Can Be
The ABCs of What I Can Be by Caitlin McDonagh
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
A great book that engages both the imagination, the alphabet and the concept of professions. We all have spent time dreaming of what we want to be when we grow up. I love the illustrations because they really capture the joy of so many jobs...jobs from A-Z. It captures how the imagination takes over and how fun adventures can take place within every job, as wild as our imagination. It was, for me, a fantastic way to expose kids to all types of jobs and a great way to expose kids to the ABC's. A delight!



Chapter Books:

News from Me, Lucy McGee
News from Me, Lucy McGee by Mary Amato
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

#FirstLine ~ Surprises are my favorite things in the whole world unless it's a bad surprise.

A fantastic book about realizing that you have been tricked and doing something about it! I adored Lucy so much. She was a spitfire, spunky and insightful. I adored how she worked her way through her struggles and setbacks. It has great themes that are perfect talking points for parents and their children. I cannot wait to see where else Lucy takes us in the next installment of this series.

Very Rich
Very Rich by Polly Horvath
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
#FirstLine ~ Rupert Brown came from a large family.

A wonderful story that has stayed with me for quite sometime. I cannot stop thinking about everything that happened within the pages. There are so many wonderful and heartwarming things that happened, so many lessons learned. I adored the characters, story and settings. It was original and sweet. A great holiday read!






View all my reviews


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...