Monday, November 7, 2011

PROMISES TO KEEP by Jane Green

I have been thinking a lot lately about my book club ladies.  The ones that support me in my book obsessed ways because they are also book obsessed.  They are also the first people I call when I need to talk and I know that they are there for me...without judgment, criticism or expectation.  I can be myself and I love who I am when I am with them.  These friendships grew because, a then acquaintance, knew I liked to read and asked me to join her book club.  I am happy to say we are now great friends.  I have gained some amazing friendships through this book club.  I feel so lucky that my love of reading brought these wonderful ladies into my life. 
Our book club name is the TIRARAS because I love tiaras.  I made a joke at a book club that if those ladies can run around in those funny hats (purple/red) we can do the same with tiaras.  For a while we wore those tiaras to every book club, but soon the novelty of wearing a tiara faded but the name stuck.  We all deserve to be a princess for a couple hours, one day a month by doing something for ourselves...to me that is what book club is. Book club is my reason to "put on" a tiara.
Our book club pick for November is PROMISES TO KEEP by Jane Green.  Although I am not too far into the book I wanted to share my first impressions with you.  I marked a little part that I will share with you that made me think of my book club ladies.
 "As with so many book clubs, it is less about the book and almost entirely about camaraderie. It is about women remembering who they were before they had children. Women who can collapse into a sofa with a glass of wine and not have someone pulling at their t-shirt or running in demanding that Mommy punish a sibling for hitting them.  It is about laughter. And friendship. And bonding. It has become a bright spot in all of their lives....(pg. 36- PROMISES TO KEEP)"
I want to thank all my book club ladies for being there, adding so much to my life and for all the laughs.  I could not have made it through the last few months without you!!  Love you!!!! 
Promises to Keep: A Novel
May 31, 2011
 
A New York Times bestseller and "a poignantly written novel that powerfully celebrates the power of love and friendship" (Chicago Tribune)

Over the course of twelve novels, Jane Green has established herself as one of the preeminent names in women's fiction. In Promises to Keep she weaves a profoundly moving tale that will enthrall both new and old fans.

Callie Perry lights up every room she enters, and adores her settled family life in tony Bedford, New York. Steffi is Callie's younger sister. At thirty, she's still a free spirit bouncing between jobs and boyfriends in Manhattan. Their long-divorced parents, Walter and Honor, share little besides their grown daughters. But when Callie receives a difficult diagnosis, the family will come together for one unforgettable and ultimately life-changing year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...