Thursday, January 21, 2016

#MMBBR Showcase: Teresa Schapansky: Imogene of the Pacific Kingdom & Dager of the Tasman Empire @T_Schapansky

 It all began a long, long time ago... it was a dark and stormy night... a short story was written by the author, for her children to enjoy.  Well, to be honest, it may not have been dark and stormy that night, and it really wasn't a long, long time ago.  Anyway, one thing led to another, as things often do, word got out, and shortly thereafter, that short story turned into a long story, enjoyed by many.

A book was born, "Imogene of the Pacific Kingdom", and that particular book opened a few doors for the author.  Radio and television interviews, school visits, library visits, a stint freelance reporting for a local newspaper, until finally... drum roll... the author's second book, "Dager of the Tasman Empire" found its way to the surface.

The story did not end there.  One day, while reporting an ice fishing event (brrr....) for  a local newspaper, the author stumbled (quite literally) upon a fellow frozen... well, fellow, and through chattering teeth, they discussed the craft of writing.  The fellow frozen fellow (Bob Winterford, Eye Wonder Studios Publishing Inc.) had a vision, and so the two joined forces (once they thawed out), and his vision become the 12 book Along the Way series.    

The story still does not end, and it is to be continued.


Check out the books HERE


Q.  What inspires your writing?
A. My appreciation for storytelling, my huge imagination and my desire to share my passion for literacy inspire my writing. Initially, I began writing to inspire my children to read, and it worked!

Q.  What is your favorite thing about being a writer?
A. The best thing about being a writer, is visiting young students, sharing stories with them, and promoting the importance of literacy.

Q.  What is the toughest part of being a writer?
A. The toughest part about being a writer, is being a first time writer, and tackling all of the self doubt that comes along with it.

Q.  If you could not be writer, what would you do/be?
A. If I could not be a writer, I would like to be an advocate for children's rights.

Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?
A. Ha ha, that's a mixed bag. Can I get back to you?

Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?
A. There are so many favourites, it's difficult to choose! I would have to say that my most recent book love is 11/22/63 by Stephen King.

Q.  Which character from ANY book are you most like?
A. Ha ha! I would like to think that I am similar to any strong willed heroine sort of character - my healthy imagination is likely overruling logic at this point.

Q.  What character from all of your book are you most like?
A. I would like to think that I would be most like Elsie, Imogene's mother. Her love for her child cannot be described with words, and I can certainly relate to that.

Q.  Which book would you love to take a weekend vacation inside of?
A. I would love to take a vacation in The Clan of the Cave Bear, by Jean M. Auel. It would be amazing to step back in time and see the places and people, in the time and places, as vividly described in her book.

Q.  What is your favorite season?
A. Summer! We spend every waking moment at the river during the summer!

Q.  What inspired your book cover(s)?  Or what is your favorite book cover and why?
A. The face on the book cover for "Imogene" resembles my three daughters, and the face on the book cover for "Dager" resembles my boys. Choosing a favourite between my two book covers, would be similar to picking the best child. I can't do it!

Q.  Are you working on something new?
A. I do! The third novel is currently in the works! I also have a series for younger children, published by Eye Wonder Studios Publishing Inc. (http://www.eyewonderstudios.com/) that is a work in progress!

Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?
A.  Absolutely! This is an amazing blog, and I would like to thank you, Emily for this interview, and I'd also like to thank the readers for their interest. Writing books for children and promoting literacy is exactly what I want to do when I grow up - how lucky I am to be here. Thank you again, so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...