Monday, January 18, 2016

#MMBBR Showcase: Secrets of Sand Mountain by Philip Elrod


The summer of 1944 – a sleepy little town in Southern Appalachia: on the surface, life seems simple and uncomplicated - but, people are not what they seem. Secrets and a dark heritage lurk just beneath the surface and suddenly erupt in danger, death, and destruction. Some characters, when challenged with life altering situations, rise to the occasion heroically - others, sink into the dark abysses of depravity. Many lives will never be the same following this hot summer of 1944.



Q.  What inspires your writing?

A. For Secrets of Sand Mountain, I was inspired by my own experiences growing up in a small town in Alabama.

Q.  What is your favorite thing about being a writer?

A. My favorite thing about being an author is the fact that I can make my own hours, sleep until, or be at work at. Besides that, I can have a glass of wine while I’m working and I don’t have to wear business suits.

Q.  What is the toughest part of being a writer?

A .Sales and marketing!

Q.  If you could not be writer, what would you do/be?

A. I’ve had a career in securities trading and would enjoy spending more time with that. However, I’d really aspire to be a judge at wine tasting contests.

Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?

A. There’s a Beatle’s song called “Help”. That comes to mind.

Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?

A. I don’t’ have a single favorite book because I enjoyed a variety of genres from astronomy to literary fiction.

Q.  Which character from ANY book are you most like?

A. Some people would probably say Quasimoto or The Creature from the Black Lagoon. However,  I prefer to think of myself as James Bond. You’re supposed to laugh. That’s a joke.

Q.  What character from all of your book are you most like?

A. I am most like the boy, Philip, in Secrets of Sand Mountain. Many of his adventures are based on my own experiences.

Q.  Which book would you love to take a weekend vacation inside of?

A. Probably James Michener’s, Hawaii. Beautiful islands with a very interesting history.

Q.  What is your favorite season?

A. Autumn, when the weather turns cool and the leaves become  brilliantly colored. The hot summer is over and the refreshing cool weather brings energy back into the lives of those of us who live in Texas. Another blessing is that the air conditioning bill will now be less than a house payment.

Q.  What inspired your book cover(s)?  Or what is your favorite book cover and why?

A. The book cover is a photograph of a beautiful area called Buck’s pocket, in Alabama. It represents a peaceful and quiet lifestyle of those who live there. The burning building represents the violence that can lurk just beneath the surface in any small community.

Q.  Tell me something funny that happened while on a book tour or while promoting your book.

A. I haven’t had a book tour yet.

Q.  Are you working on something new?

A. I’m currently working on a couple of projects. Both are related to Secrets of Sand Mountain.

Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?

A.  I would like to give them my sincere thanks. Blogs and their followers are the lifeblood of indie authors. I’ve visited many blogs and have been very  impressed by the professionalism and dedication of the bloggers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...