|Some of the books/CD's we checked out from the library|
My kids and I are well on our way to reading 1000 books Before Kindergarten. We have been enjoying heading to the library, picking out books and spending quality time together reading. If you have a child between the ages of birth through five years check out your local libraries to see of they offer the same or a similar program.
1000 Books B4K Guidelines
- This program is designed for families with children birth through age 5.
- Sign up at either the Kimberly or Little Chute Public Library to receive your reading journal (only 1 journal will be given per family).
- Record each book read. Repetition is good, so you may record a favorite book more than once.
- Pick out books you enjoy and have fun reading together (use expression!). Find a time when you and your child are in a good mood to read. Reading together should never be a chore.
- Each time you read 100 books, bring in your reading journal to either library. You will receive:
- two stickers - one for your book and one for the library wall
- two vocabulary/matching cards (save them to have a matching game when you complete the program!)
- your next set of pages for your reading journal
- at 500 books, you will also receive a music CD by Tom Pease & Stuart Stotts
- Be sure to stop in after each level - only one set of pages will be given out each time! Visit the library often and discover the wonderful variety of books to check out and read together.
- Don't be daunted! Just 3 books a day amounts to 1000 books in 1 year, and this program is designed to give you time over a few years to meet your goal.
- After finishing 1000 Books, your child:
- will receive a certificate of achievement and a special book prize
- will have a set of farm vocabulary cards that also serves as a matching game
- will have his/her name proudly placed on the Wall of Fame at the library
- Once you have read 1000 books, you are finished with the program. Please continue to read together, and feel free to add your own pages to the journal if you wish.
See more HERE