Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Q&A with the wonderful and talented author Sandra Kring

I want to start my saying congratulations to Sandra on the release of her 5th book A Life of Bright Ideas: A Novel  released today.  It is an amazing follow up book to The Book of Bright IdeasGo out and get your copy today!!!  To see my review of A LIFE OF BRIGHT IDEAS click here.



Image of Sandra Kring


Q.  What inspires your writing?

A.  Life itself. The things I see, the things I hear, the things I experience. But mostly, the questions that rattle around in my head. 

Q.  What is your favorite thing about being an author?

A.  While you can’t beat a job that allows you to wear your jammies to work, my most favorite part of being an author lies in the fact that every day, I get to get up and do what I love to do most—write!

Q.  What is the toughest part of being an author?

A.  The amount of time I have to spend in solitary confinement.  I love people and miss human contact terribly when I’m working. Not just my friends, but the smiles and light chit-chat with strangers. 

Q.  If you could not be author, what would you do/be?

A. I’d be a singer. I can sing. Used to sing.  And music is my other love.

Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?

A.  Wow, that’s a tough one!  I’m terrible with titles, and usually have to let my publishing house do the honors of titling my books.  Hmmmm. Hmmmm.  Okay, I have no clue.  But I can tell you this much: The title would be one that reflected resolve.

Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?

A.  I would be lousy reviewer, because I pretty much find something to love in pretty much every book I read.  Some, of course, I’ve loved more, and for varying reasons. For instance,  I love Of Mice and Men for its depth.  I love The Education of Little Tree for its heart. I adore Angela’s Ashes for its amazingly sympathetic characters. I love Roots, for its history. And more recently, I totally enjoyed The Help simply because! I could go on…

Q.  Which of your characters are you most like?

A.  Every main character in every book I’ve written, is a facet of me.  I am every bit as impulsive as Teaspoon; every bit as driven to understand human nature as Lucy; every bit as afraid of making a mistake as Button, and every bit as wild and capable of magical thinking as Winnalee; and Earwig is me when I forget everything I know about human behavior and sociology and simply wonder why this world can’t be a kinder, gentler place.

Q.  What is your favorite season?

A   I love spring and fall equally.  Spring, when everything comes back to life, and fall because I love the colors and the wind. 

Q.  Tell me something funny that happened while on a book tour.

A.  Readers tend to get embarrassed when they forget to shut off their cells and their phone rings while I’m speaking.  But for the most part, if anyone forgets to shut off their phones—it’s ME!  At one of my first readings, my friend came with me and had my purse sitting at her feet.  My cell started ringing, and she had to dig like crazy in the mess to find it. Then, not knowing how to shut it off, she answered it only to make it stop.  She was sitting in the front row, and while others frowned at her as if it was her faux pas, she tried whispering discreetly into the phone. But the caller couldn’t hear her.  Knowing that the caller was likely to call back, thinking he/she just dialed incorrectly, I stopped talking mid-sentence, took the phone, and said, “Hi Dan. I’m in the middle of a reading, so can I call you back?”  I could almost feel him blush. Poor friends who have to put up with my ways!

Q.  Are you working on something new?

A.  I am! But I can’t talk about it just yet.  I can tell you this much, though. I’m really excited about it!

Q.  You have a fabulous facebook page and often have great quotes and inspiring passages.  What is your favorite quote?
A.  I can’t judge anything I write, so I’ll just give you one that was a favorite amongst my followers:

Some people frantically seek success as though their whole worth depends on if they make it to the top. How much better off they’d be if they unwound their dream like kite string and ran with it like a child, just for the joy of seeing if they can make it touch the clouds. ~ Sandra Kring  
Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?

A. Simply, Thank you!  Because while we, the authors, are the ones who give our characters breath, and our publishers are the ones who give our stories a cover, it is you, our readers, who give our careers life! 


Carry Me Home: A Novel


The Book of Bright Ideas


Thank You for All Things (Bantam Discovery)


How High the Moon: A Novel


A Life of Bright Ideas: A Novel

Buy Sandra's books HERE

Find more on Sandra Here:  http://www.sandrakring.com  

"Like" Sandra on Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/kring.sandra


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...