Thursday, December 15, 2011

Interview with debut author Samantha March

Interview with debut author Samantha March
Destined to Fail

I am so excited to have the opportunity to interview Samantha March for Mrs. Mommy Booknerd's Book Reviews.  I am pleased to announce that I will also be reviewing her book DESTINED TO FAIL early in 2012.  Stay tuned...

Samantha March currently lives in Des Moines, Iowa with her boyfriend and crazy cast of friends.  She also runs the popular book/women’s lifestyle blog ChickLitPlus, which keeps her bookshelf stocked with the latest reads.  You can also check out ChickLitPlus to stay up to date on all things health, fitness, fashion, and celebrity related.  DESTINED TO FAIL is her first novel.


Q.  What inspired you to write DESTINED TO FAIL?

A.  A lot of things did. Some of the obstacles that Jasmine has to go through came from my own life, or lives of others that I have met. I find people who go through adversity but can keep a positive attitude so inspiring, and I’m fortunate to have met many people who have that personality. I’m all about believing in yourself and never giving up on what you want, and I wanted to write a character that instilled those qualities.

Q.  What is your favorite thing about being an author?

A.  Seeing readers connect with my story or characters. It was incredibly profound when reviews started coming in and the words I was getting back from readers. Saying how they connected with a certain character, or they had been through what a character has been through and how this book showed them how to keep pushing forward. I want each of my books to touch someone in that way, even if it is only one person – I will be ecstatic.

Q.  What is the toughest part of being an author?

A.  The toughest part about being s self-published author is all the work that goes into it. You obviously have to do all the writing, but then you have to hire your editor and cover designer and marketing coordinators. You have to build your websites and take to social media for hours during the day to make sure people know about you. You have to track all your reviews and sales. Then, you have to keep writing. It’s a full time job, without the guarantee of a paycheck.

Q.  What would the story of your life be entitled?

A. I would maybe go with “Don’t Give Up On Me.” My biggest achievement in life is really that I’m here and I’m somewhat successful. At sixteen years old I was sleeping in a park and never expected to graduate high school, let alone college – both with honors. Now I have one book published, another due in the spring, a happy family life and I love my book blog and everything that has came from it. Others might have given up on me a long time ago, but I never gave up on myself.

Q.  What is your favorite book of all time?

A. Kristy’s Great Idea by Ann M. Martin. The Baby-Sitters Club in general could possibly answer this question as well. My love of books and starting my own business came from these books and characters (I ran baby-sitting clubs, dog walking services, you name it.)
 
Q.  What is your favorite season?

A.  Summer! I need the heat. I hibernate in the winter and never want to come out!

Q.  Are you working on something new?

A.  I am! My next book should be out in the spring. It is a money versus moral story – think shady employers and the temptation of fast cash. The first draft is 3/4 written and I’m having a great time with these characters. It’s not as dramatic as Destined, but hopefully still some lessons to be learned!

Q.  Anything you want to say to followers of this blog or those that are just stopping by?

A. Thank you for checking out my interview, and big thanks to Emily for having me! You can find out more about me and my books by visiting my website, or follow me on twitter @samanthamarch23.



Book Description

Publication Date: October 11, 2011

Jasmine Jones is ready to begin her new life as a college student, and is ecstatic to have best friend Abby by her side. But weeks into their new college life, Abby drops the bomb- she is pregnant, and dropping out of college. Jasmine can’t handle the fact that Abby is wasting her opportunity to get an education, and going back to her cheating, abusive boyfriend. She struggles to move on from her friendship with Abby, but befriends two new girls at college. Everything seems back on track for Jasmine- great new friendships and roommates, a strong relationship with boyfriend Nate, and excelling at her college courses. But Jasmine’s newfound happiness is shattered when her pregnancy test comes out positive. Does she have to drop out of college now and become a young mother? Will Nate stay with her? How can she afford a child? Jasmine’s life has been filled with obstacles and challenges along the way- from a missing father, sexual and physical abuse, and addictions that tore her family apart. With this latest setback, Jasmine fears her life will always be a struggle. Destined to Fail is one woman’s story about overcoming adversity in life, about taking the negatives and finding a positive, and about never giving up hope.



Destined to Fail

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for having me Emily! Go Pack Go :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I found a book to add to my list of must reads and a new blog to check out!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments, so please leave some! If you are a new follower and have a blog yourself please let me know so I can follow you back! Have a great day!

Emily, AKA Mrs. Mommy Booknerd

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...