My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This book is quite speculator! Within this amazing book there are 500 photos of some of the coolest things to grab our attention for 2019. In addition to all the fabulous photos, there are facts and tidbits galore. While you peruse the book you can look through the chapters and read things that interest you the most. The chapters are: Your World 2019, Amazing Animals, Science and Technology, Going Green, Culture Connection, Space and Earth, Fun and Games, Awesome Exploration, Wonders of Nature, History Happens and Geography Rocks. When this book arrived my son was instantly reading it bouncing from topic to topic...all I heard was "Did you know that...." followed by some amazing factoids and "Wow, look at this..." followed by me looking at some crazy cool things. These are the type of books that capture the attention of young readers because they have amazing vibrant photos with fun facts, game, puzzles and digital extras. I love that I can trust that my child will be learning interesting and important facts and that their attention will be captured over the summer with this book. Every time you open it up you read you learn something new. This will be a staple read for my boys over the summer! 5 stars
Highlights of the National Geographic Kids Almanac 2019 (ages 8-12) include:
* What’s new and newsy in our world
* Cool events to look forward to in 2019 like World Emoji Day in July ’19 and Scooby-Doo’s 50th birthday in September ‘19
* Hot movies coming in 2019
* Latest updates about animals like the new four-legged recruits in Brooklyn and Taipei that are currently in training to help their human friends in law enforcement and how a recent Tasmanian Devil baby boom is helping to
ensure these marsupials are saved from extinction
* All About Animals — An entire section devoted to the wild and wonderful animal kingdom, including profiles of the awesome "Unicorns of the Sea," how dolphin’s brains work and the crazy antics of armadillos
* Science and Technology — Cool inventions, how the slinky came to be and which animals have the strongest sniffers — to name just a few
* Nature - Important and timely coverage of recent natural disasters, ideas for protecting our seas and examining wild weather and its impact
* 19 facts for 2019 feature in every chapter including 19 Amazing Facts About Vikings, Telescopes, Deserts, Big Cats and more
* Almanac Challenge 2019 — Lions Forever!
* This year’s challenge encourages kids to get involved and make a difference. The focus is on highlighting the threats lions face and the importance of saving them. Kids are encouraged to visit natgeokids.com/almanac
to create a lion poster and send a message with their entry about why they feel lions must be saved. Winner will receive a $500 cash prize!
* Crafts, Recipes and Activities
* Digital Extras (videos, games, and even how to set up a “Lion-Ade Stand!) at natgeokids.com/almanac
Sized just right for backpacks, backseats and for reading under the covers, the National Geographic Kids Almanac 2019 is a summer reading slam dunk. Sample spreads can be viewed here.